The Weetabix Diet
What is the Weetabix Diet?
Weetabix is a cereal made by a UK company. The Weetabix diet plan consists of eating Weetabix for 3to 4 meals daily with either skim milk or water. In between meals dieters can snack on fruits or vegetables. It’s important to note that this diet is very high in carbohydrates and very low in protein and fat.
Pros and Cons of Cereal Diets
The Weetabix diet, the Special K diet and other cereal diets have similar pros and cons.
- At first you may lose some weight because you’re reducing your overall calorie intake. There are 117 calories in weetabix (for a 2 biscuit serving size), so that combined with skim milk is fewer than 200 calories per meal.
- High fiber is good for weight loss and for colon health. If you examine Weetabix nutritional information you’ll find that they are relatively high in fiber with 3.9 grams per serving and contain zero fat. There is trace protein at 3.5 grams per serving. The majority of the cereal is carbohydrate at 23.1 grams per serving.
- The diet is accessible to people who are vegetarian or who have allergies. Since the emphasis is on carbohydrates, vegetarians will have an easy time following the program. Also, Weetabix does not contain any soy, eggs or nuts which are common allergens. It does contain wheat so those who are gluten intolerant or who have celiac disease should avoid Weetabix.
- High amounts of carbohydrates convert easily to energy, but the rapid rise in blood sugar may cause a crash later leading to increased hunger.
- Dieters are more likely to be successful on a program that emphasizes balancing carbs, fats and proteins rather than eliminating proteins and fats.
- Cereal diets are not lifestyle changing diets. Most of us realize that it’s not realistic to eat the same cereal 3 to 4 times a day indefinitely. Eventually you’ll want to eat different foods – but this diet isn’t doing much to teach you which foods will help you continue to lose weight, or to keep it off.
- You must buy Weetabix. Any diet that relies heavily on the purchase of a product should be questioned. Is the diet in existence simply to sell more product?
If you’re looking to drop 5-7 pounds in a quick period of time, the Weetabix diet may be able to help you. However, if you’re looking to shed more weight and keep it off for the long-term, you’ll be better off finding a program that emphasizes balanced eating and does not rely on eating one product at each meal.
If you’re concerned about your weight, talk to your physician. Together you can create a plan that will help you lose weight and keep it off while eating a variety of fresh and healthy foods.