How Many Steps a Day to Lose Weight?
The majority of people know that cardio exercise is a great way to lose weight, but the question often asked is, “How much cardio do I have to do?” or “How many steps a day to lose weight?” The easy answer: You can lose weight by taking 10,000 steps per day. This large number can scare people but it really isn’t that much walking and it can be divided up throughout the day. It takes, on average, about an hour and half to walk 10,000 steps. The problem for a lot of people is motivation and how to monitor how much they are walking. Walking is a calm, enjoyable exercise that is great for your health and can help you lose weight.
How Much Time?
Walking 30-90 minutes a day is an appropriate workout and you will see weight loss results as long as you do it consistently. Because walking isn’t as intense of a workout as other cardio exercise it takes longer to get heart rate up and burn fat. It is difficult for some people to stay motivated because it takes so long and they are often busy with work and other prior commitments. However, if you set yourself some goals and keep focused on them, sticking with your walking plan will become much easier.
Weight Loss Tips for Walkers:
- Start low: Start with a little walking a day until you become accustomed and then increase the distance you walk the more you do it.
- Consistency: It is important that you walk regularly so that you become used to walking everyday and your body is able to burn fat consistently to lose weight.
- Comfortable shoes: If you are going to be walking every day, comfortable shoes are a worthy investment so that you will enjoy your walk.
- Pace: Begin at your own pace, but build up your pace after a while to allow your heart rate to increase for a more intense workout.
- Posture: Keep your back straight while walking and try to look down. Instead, look straight ahead and try to tense your abdominal muscles.
- Pedometer: This is a great way to keep track of your steps, how many calories you’ve burned and your heart rate. Many pedometers will show you calories burned during your workout – so it’s a terrific way to stay motivated!
While walking is a great way to lose weight, you can’t assume that just taking 10,000 steps a day will alone cause you to lose weight. How many steps to lose a pound will depend on what you eat, not just how many steps you take. On average, 10,000 steps will burn around 450 calories, which over a week’s time will help you lose about 1 pound. A healthy diet is necessary as well. It is best to remember other weight loss tips as well. Focus on eating whole foods and drink plenty of water in addition to your walking routine.
Filed under: Weight Loss Tips | Tagged with: how many steps a day to lose weight, how many steps per day to lose weight, how many steps to lose a pound, how many steps to lose weight, weight loss tips