How Many Calories in a Banana?
If you’re looking for the perfect snack, you may not have to look further than a well ripened banana. Bananas are an amazing fruit that come in their own packaging, are easy to eat and there are fewer calories in banana than in other readily available snacks. In this article we’ll present some facts about this amazing fruit.
How Many Calories does a Banana have?
The odd thing about bananas is that it’s difficult to determine how many calories are in a banana! Bananas come in all shapes and sizes which makes an exact count difficult. Even if you were to go by weight, determining how many calories in a banana is a bit challenging because the varying degree of ripeness changes the sugar content and therefore the calorie content.
In an average banana, weighing 126 grams, you will find approximately 110 calories. This will be composed of 26 grams of carbohydrate, 1 gram of protein and less than 1 gram of fat.
Nutritional Benefits of Bananas
With only 110 calories banana snacks are a great way to feed your hunger and also give your body vital nutrition. Here are just a few facts about the nutritional makeup of a banana:
- High in potassium – Potassium is an essential part of maintaining a healthy heart and nerves. Potassium also plays an important role in the development of muscle as it is contributes to proper muscle contraction. Some doctors believe low potassium can lead to high blood pressure and even strokes. One banana provides about 10% of your daily recommendation of potassium.
- High in fiber – A medium sized banana will contain 16% of the daily recommendation of fiber for an adult. This is a huge amount considering it is one serving of a food. Diets that are high in fiber can reduce the risk of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Supports your blood – Bananas are a great source of vitamin B6 – in fact, bananas are one of the best natural sources for B6. B6 helps your body create hemoglobin, an important part of your blood. B6 also contributes to antibody production and helps keep your immune system healthy. A single medium banana will provide 20% of your daily requirements of B6.
Bananas are a great snack and are affordable! Most grocery stores sell bananas for about 50 cents per pound making them a great deal as well as a nutritious choice. Now that you know how many calories in a banana and all of the other nutritional details that make them so special, why not grab a bunch on your next trip to the grocery store?
- Avocado Calories
- Calories in Blueberries
- How Many Calories in Watermelon Are There?
- An Overview of Nectarine Calories, Health Benefits, and Nutrients
- Why How Many Calories in Grapes Make It A Good Snack