A Wide Range of Cinnamon Health Benefits
While many say that cinnamon is merely a spice, others will argue for it’s rich arsenal of wellness benefits. Cinnamon health benefits range from killing bacteria to improving memory function, making it an amazing spice. Harvested from the bark of the cinnamon tree, the spice has been used in Eastern medicine for thousands of years. While the Western world is just picking up on the wide range of cinnamon benefits, knowing a bit about the spice might just convince you to use it in your everyday life.
1. Lowers Diabetic Blood Sugar: One of the most prominent benefits of cinnamon is its properties of lowering blood sugar. Many type 2 diabetics take cinnamon supplements to lower their blood glucose naturally, making the spice a good option for those opposed to modern drugs. Be careful, though, about just how much cinnamon you are consuming if you do need to control your blood sugar. Consuming cinnamon supplements on top of any other medication will lead to an unhealthy drop in sugar levels.
2. Lowers “Bad” Cholesterol: The health benefits of cinnamon aren’t just for those with diabetes, though. Many with high cholesterol have also turned to cinnamon for a cure. Many health tips associated with cinnamon mention that the spice reduces LDH cholesterol, the bad cholesterol, leading to overall better health though. If you do any research, though, be aware of the cinnamon and honey hoax, which states that a mixture of the two will cure almost any health ailment. This is not true, the rumor originating as a sensationalist story from a tabloid magazine.
3. Boosts Brain Function and Memory: A recent university study has shown that cinnamon benefits and side effects are related to heightened cognitive function and memory storage. The study showed that patients given cinnamon were more able to perform analytical and task oriented functions, while also remembering facts and trivia longer than those without cinnamon who were given a placebo replacement.
4. Fights Medication-Resistant Thrush: Cinnamon oil has shown to be lethal to certain strains of yeast that are otherwise completely resistant to medication. Candida ablicans, especially, is annihilated by cinnamon. On of many yeast health tips includes boiling cinnamon in water and then applying the mixture to infected areas has been shown to remove and cure an infection. Similarly, cinnamon has substantial anti-bacterial properties as well.
Cinnamon as a Super Spice
So if your wondering about the many cinnamon health benefits, know that the spice contains much more than first meets the eye. From dramatically lowering blood sugar to curing many yeast infections, adding cinnamon to your diet might just be the health and wellness solution for you.
- Is Cinnamon Good for You?
- The Truth about the Health Benefits of Cinnamon and Honey
- The Truth about the Honey and Cinnamon Hoax
- Cashews Health Benefits