Calories in Blueberries
How many calories in blueberries?
83 per 1 cup serving
Calories in blueberries are extremely small when you take a look at all the nutritional benefits that blueberries bring to the table. In this guide we’ll give you the basics on blueberry nutritional information and also share with you some of the amazing health benefits that can be derived from incorporating them into your daily diet.
- In a serving of blueberries calories 1 cup = 83
- .5 grams of fat
- 0mg of cholesterol
- 21g of carbohydrates
- 3.5 grams of fiber
- 1.1 gram of protein
In addition to the low calories blueberries contain, they are also a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C and manganese. They’re a naturally low-sodium food and they contain no cholesterol.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Here are some amazing health facts about blueberries that you may not be aware of:
- Blueberries contain the highest amount of antioxidants among all fresh fruit. They contain vitamin C, B complex, vitamin E, vitamin A and essential minerals like copper, zinc, iron and selenium. A high amount of antioxidants can help to improve your immune system, making it easier for your body to fight off illnesses, infections and even diseases. The pigment anthocyanin, which is responsible for the berry’s beautiful color is one of the reasons that antioxidant content is so high.
- Blueberries can help reduce, or slow down the signs of aging by neutralizing free radicals.
- Blueberries can be helpful in preventing urinary tract infections as they contain some antibacterial properties.
- With a high fiber content, blueberries are good for your heart and digestive system.
Incorporating Blueberries into your Diet
Here are just a few suggestions of how to get blueberries into your diet every day:
- Breakfast: Add blueberries to pancakes, muffins, hot cereal, cold cereal or mix them with yogurt.
- Snacks: Blueberries are delicious when eaten raw, but you can also dehydrate them and add them to trail mixes. Also try blueberries with a few nuts and cheese for a great afternoon energy boost.
- Lunch: Try blueberries on a salad with blue cheese, make a berry compote with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries or simply enjoy them by themselves.
- Dessert: There are almost an unlimited number of desserts you can make that include blueberries. From fruit tarts and pies to ice cream parfaits topped with the fruit, there is likely some kind of blueberry confection to tempt every member of your family.
Blueberry calories are generally lower, or in the same range as other fruits. A cup of oranges for example has 85 calories. A cup of mashed bananas, 200. Regardless of calorie count, however, few fruits can measure up to the incredible antioxidant content of blueberries. Why not make an effort to add blueberries to at least one meal per day?
- How many Calories in a Clementine?
- Avocado Calories
- How Many Calories in Watermelon Are There?
- Why How Many Calories in Grapes Make It A Good Snack
- An Overview of Nectarine Calories, Health Benefits, and Nutrients