The Health Benefits of Calcium Pyruvate
If you’re looking for a supplement that can help you feel more energetic, assist with weight loss and even improve your athletic endurance levels then you should consider calcium pyruvate. In this guide we’ll give you an overview of this supplement including the benefits and side effects.
What is Calcium Pyruvate?
Pyruvate is an antioxidant that is produced naturally in the body and assists in the conversion of carbohydrates and sugars into energy. Pyruvate is the key component to the Krebs Cycle which creates ATP. The more ATP a person has, the more calories are burned. Calcium is added to pyruvate for stability. Calcium pyruvate is naturally found in apples, cheese, red wine and dark beers.
Calcium Pyruvate Benefits
- Improves athletic performance and endurance.
- Reduces high cholesterol.
- May improve cataracts.
- Improved energy levels.
- According to a study done at the University of Pittsburgh, there is a link between calcium pyruvate and weight loss. The study showed that fat loss was 50% greater in the group that took calcium pyruvate.
It’s important to note that while there have been many studies that show positive benefits of calcium pyruvate, nearly all of those studies involved very high amounts of the supplement. While the normal recommended dose is 5 grams per day, some studies, such as the one performed at the University of Pittsburgh involved using as much as 30 grams per day. Consuming a large amount of calcium pyruvate is not recommended without the advice and supervision of your physician.
Calcium Pyruvate Side Effects
Most side effects of calcium pyruvate come from taking a dosage in excess of the recommended 5 grams per day. Some of the most common side effects include:
- Increased number of bowel movements
If you currently have high blood pressure, avoid any calcium pyruvate brands that include sodium as an ingredient as this may be increase your blood pressure levels.
Which Supplements to Buy?
When you shop for Calcium Pyruvate, there are a few things to be looking for:
- What is the dosage of each pill? Don’t just compare price/pill, instead look at price/gram to get an accurate comparison.
- What are the ingredients? Is there any added sodium?
- How many capsules per day will you have to take to achieve the recommended 5 grams/day?
Individuals who have reported the most success with calcium pyruvate use the supplement in conjunction with daily exercise and a balanced diet rich in whole foods. Don’t expect to see instant increases in energy – it will take approximately 10 days before you notice any results. Remember that with weight loss, slow and steady is the way to go. Calcium pyruvate is just another tool in your weight loss toolbox but will need to be used with other techniques to be truly successful.